Friday, November 13, 2009

Kollu (Horse gram) Rasam



Kollu Rasam is very nutritious and delicious for the cold weather. Since winter is started I added rasam in my daily menu. When I was a kid I remember my grandapa used to come to our home for my mom's rasam. Its default in my momz lunch menu. And my sister for very long time only had rasam sadam for lunch. Sometimes she used to say becoz of that only she can maintain her structure like trisha.... (haha fun part). Lets start our main part....


As I have stated previously in my sprouted kollu sundal, drain and save the Kollu water from boiling the kollu.

Ingredients:

Kollu Water - 1 1/2 cups
Rasam Powder - 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
Tomato - 1 (small)
Garlic pod - 3 (crushed)
Tamarind - lime size
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 4
Coriander leaves - for garnishing
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Dry Red Chilly - 2
Hing - 1 pinch
Salt

Method:

1. Soak tamarind in water and then extract its juice for a cup and mix it with the drained kollu water.

2. In a kadai add the chopped tomato, rasa powder, garlic and salt to the extract juice.

3. Cook them for about 10-15 mins. Don’t allow them to boil

4. Meanwhile heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds to splutter, add the dry red chillies and curry leaves.

5. Before turn off the heat once the form appears pour the seasonings over the rasam and add some coriander leaves for aroma.

TIPS: Can even add some black pepper powder to the rasam before serving. peppercorns have good medicinal valued for cold

No comments: